Oklahoma Security Guard Training & License Info
The Security Guard license issued by Oklahoma’s CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) is a three year, renewable license. You must complete the necessary training, submit an application for a license, and undergo a finger print background check to get your Security Guard license.
To become a security guard in OK, you must b:
- 18 years of age for unarmed license, 21 for armed license.
- Citizen of the Untied States or alien legally residing in the U.S.
- Be of good moral character, not have been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude unless waived by the Council pursuant to O.S. Title 59, Section 1750.5 (H).
Below are the items you will need to complete a new application.
- Application with attachments completed and signature notarized.
- Certified court Judgment and Sentence or letter of no record for each arrest and/or charge, if applicable. (All questions on page 2 must be answered)
- Legible CLEET fingerprint cards with all required data.
- Two current passport size color photographs or three if applying for an armed license. Paper or plastic photos are NOT acceptable. Face area
should be no larger than 1″ square, and no sunglasses. Write your name on the back of the photographs and secure to application.
- Local Police Department and Sheriff Department Record Checks.
- Letter of Employment (if applicable) or Bond/Insurance.
- Agency Application (Required if self-employed Private Investigator).
- Documented proof of experience or comparable training. Comparable training may be granted for certified Oklahoma Peace Officers, Reserve Officers, out of state full-time Police Officers, Military Police and Oklahoma Correctional Officer training. The experience provision may waive all or part of the mandated training upon proof that the applicant was employed as a security guard or private investigator on a full-time basis for one (1) year in the last three (3) years immediately preceding the date of application. If you don’t have training yet, you must include a letter of employment from a licensed agency to work unarmed and complete the mandated training within 180 days from the date of application. To acquire the mandate training provision, applicants must complete the CLEET approved courses of training from one of the schools listed in the packet and pass the State Examination.
- Applicants for an armed license must obtain a current psychological evaluation (Active full time or reserve peace officers are exempt from the psychological evaluation). Peace Officers must provide a letter from their law enforcement agency indicating active status.
- Payment amount required. DO NOT MAIL CASH. NO PERSONAL CHECKS. (Money Order, Company Check or Cashier’s Check only).
- Fee, which includes a non-refundable fee of $41.00 for fingerprints:
- Unarmed Security Guard $91.00
- Armed Security Guard $141.00
- Armed Guard and Armed Private Investigator (Combination) $191.00
- If not a United States Citizen, verifiable documentation of legal residence.
Oklahoma Security Guard Training Requirements & Fees
You need to get your security guard training from an approved location.
|Type of License||Training Required||State Exam Required|
|Unarmed Security Guard||Phase I (20 hours)
Phase II (20 hours)
|Phase I/II (Unarmed Security Guard Exam)|
NOTE: Applicants with comparable training or experience must include proof of training or experience with their application. Comparable training may be granted for certified Oklahoma Peace Officers, Reserve Officers, out of state full-time Police Officers, Military Police and Oklahoma Correctional Officer training. The experience provision may waive all or part of the mandated training (except for firearms training) upon proof that the applicant was employed as a security guard or private investigator on a full-time basis for one (1) year in the last three (3) years immediately preceding the date of application.
Police Officer Security Guard Licensing Exemptions
Full-time, certified peace officers are not required to obtain an individual license as a security guard. If the officer is operating as an agency and hiring guards, they need to obtain an agency license. Licensed agencies may require licensing as a condition of employment although it is not required by the state.
Oklahoma Security Guard Temporary Special Event Licenses
Licensed Oklahoma Security Guard Agency, twice in a calendar year. Applies to Guards hired for a given event per the following regulations.
390:35-5-4. Special Event Licenses
(a) Special Event Licenses may be issued only to employees of security agencies.
(b) Applications for Special Event Status shall be made only by the security agency which has contracted to provide security guards for a particular event.
(c) Such applications shall be submitted on forms to be provided by CLEET, and not less than 7 business days prior to the event. Exceptions may be granted when good cause is shown that a timely request could not be made.
(d) Applications for Special Event Status shall contain information as prescribed by CLEET, but shall contain at least the following:
(1) The name and location of the event;
(2) The dates for which security guards will be provided at the event;
(3) The nature of the event;
(4) Justification for Special Event Status including an explanation as to why regularly licensed guards may not be used;
(5) Examples of duties to be performed by the licensees; and
(6) The projected number of guards to be licensed.
(e) When an application for Special Event Status has been approved, the contracting agency shall apply in writing, to CLEET, for individual licenses. Such applications for individual licenses shall contain information as prescribed by CLEET, but shall contain at least the following:
(1) Each applicant’s name, race, gender, date of birth, social security number, home address, citizenship status;
(2) Certification that the employing agency has conducted a criminal history check with the sheriff in the county of residence of each applicant, and that such criminal history check was conducted within thirty (30) days prior to the date of the event to be licensed;
(3) Certification that each applicant is covered by the employing agency’s bond or liability insurance, pursuant to the Act;
(4) Proper fee payment, which shall be seven dollars ($7.00) per individual applicant.
(f) Regularly licensed and conditionally licensed guards shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.
(g) No person shall be issued more than two (2) Special Event Licenses in any calendar year.
CLEET Online Private Security Testing
CLEET offers online Private Security licensee testing at 44 different Career Tech locations across Oklahoma. Check http://www.okcareertech.org/technology-centers to view the list of testing centers. The fee for the online test is $25.00. You get your test scores immediately.
Security Guard Change of Address
390:35-5-13. Notification of change of name or address or telephone number (a) Private investigators, armed security guards, and unarmed security guards shall maintain, with the Council, current residential addresses and shall notify in writing the Council of any change of name. Notification of change of name shall include copies of any marriage license or court document which reflects the change of name. Notice of change of address or telephone number must be made within ten (10) days of the effected change. Notices will not be accepted over the phone. Oklahoma Security Guard Change of Address Form