VA Unarmed Security Officer/Courier License
In Virginia, an unarmed security officer/courier is any person who performs the functions of observation, detection, reporting, or notification of appropriate authorities or designated agents regarding persons or property on the premises that individual is contracted to protect, and who does not carry or have access to a firearm in the performance of their duties.
- Application Fee: $25
- Fingerprint Fee: $50
- Length of License: 2 years
Virginia Security Guard Training & License Requirements
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Successful completion of all initial training requirements for each registration category. You must complete this training within the prior 12 months to your application.
- Be a United States citizen or legal resident alien of the United States.
Virginia Security Guard Training Requirements
You must take 18 hours of core entry level security officer training consisting of the following topics:
- Applicable sections of the Code of Virginia and Regulations Relating to Private Security Services
- Code of Ethics
- General Duties and Responsibilities
- Signs of Terrorism
- Security Patrol, Access Control, and Communications
- Emergency Procedures
- Confrontation Management
- Use of force
- Written comprehensive examination
The state of Virginia maintains an online list of schools offering security officer training.
Partial Exemptions from Virginia Security Guard Training
Complete the partial exemptions form and pay a $25.
VA Unarmed Security Officer Application Process
- Submit to the VA Department of Criminal Justice your initial registration application and applicable non-refundable fee.
- Submit a fingerprint card, fingerprint processing application and applicable non-refundable fee. For more information, view the Fingerprints page.
- Any individual who has ever been convicted or found guilty of a felony or misdemeanor (not to include minor traffic violations) in Virginia or any other jurisdiction to include military court martial or currently under protective orders must submit a Criminal History Supplemental form.
Replacement Security Officer Registration Cards
If you lose or damage your security officer registration card, you may apply for a replacement. A replacement guard card costs $20.
Working as Guard before Your Registration is Complete
You can work as unarmed security officer for 90 consecutive days while completing your compulsory minimum training requirements, provided your fingerprints were submitted on or before your date of hire and your employer provides you with a 90 day authorization document. This document along with a photo ID must be carried on duty while performing regulated services until a temporary or permanent registration is issued.
Working as Guard before Your Virginia Security Guard Training is Complete
You can work as an unarmed security officer for 90 consecutive days while completing your compulsory minimum training requirements, provided your fingerprints were submitted on or before your date of hire.