A Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC) from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – Division of Professional Regulation is required to work as an unarmed employee of a licensed private security force in Illinois.
Type of Security Guard License Required & Issuing Authority
- Security Guard License Type: Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC)
- Security Guard License Length: 3 years
- Security Guard Licensing Authority: Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – Division of Professional Regulation
- Security Guard Licensing Website: Division of Professional Regulation
- Security Guard Licensing Phone Number: (217) 782-8556
- Security Guard Licensing Address:
ATTN: Division of Professional Regulation
P.O. Box 7007
Springfield, Illinois 62791
- Security Guard License Laws: Administrative Code, Title 68: Professions and Occupations, Chapter VII: Subchapter b: Part 1240, Section 1240.520 Permanent Employee Registration Card
Security Guard Training Requirements & Fees
Illinois requires that you take 20 hours of training to become an unarmed security guard. Each security guard training company in Illinois sets its own class fees.
- Security Officer Courses before You Apply for a Security Officer License: 20 hours with cost set by training school; $55 typical.
Illinois State Security Guard Training Course Outline
- The Professional Security Officer
- Becoming a Professional Security Officer protecting property
- Fire prevention and control
- The Legal Basis for security and rights of the security officers
- Basic law for the security officer
- Criminal Justice System
- Crime and the security officer
- Control of property and people
Security Guard Training Exemptions
- Peace officers are exempt from needing a PERC card. The company that employs the peace officer, not the peace force, is responsible for the peace officer while they are on duty.
- A person employed as an unarmed security guard at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission who has completed the background screening and training mandated by the rules and regulations of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is exempt from registration for a PERC.
Security Guard Background Check & Fingerprinting Fees
- Manual Fingerprint Fee = $39.25
- Live Scan / Electronic Fee = $34.25
You must submit to a criminal background check and provide evidence of fingerprint processing from the Illinois State Police (ISP),or a fingerprint vendor approved by ISP or the Department. Fingerprints must be taken within 60 days from the date that you submit your application to the Department or the Department’s testing vendor.
The Certifying Statement of Fingerprint Submission Form (FP), or a receipt issued by an approved fingerprint vendor must be submitted with your application. The receipt is given to you by the vendor at the time your fingerprints are taken.
Security Guard Application & License Fees
- Security Guard Application Fee: $55
- Payment Types Accepted: Money order, cashier’s check
- Payable To: Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Security Guard Other Requirements
- You must be at least 18 years
- You must disclosure your U.S. social security number, if you have one, to obtain a PERC. Your social security number may be provided to the Illinois Department of Public Aid to identify persons who are more than 30 days delinquent in complying with a child support order, or to the Illinois Department of Revenue to identify persons who have failed to file a tax return, pay tax, penalty or interest shown in a filed return, or to pay any final assessment or tax penalty or interest, as required by any tax Act administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue, or to other entities for verification of identification.
- Have not been convicted of any criminal offense, including a misdemeanor or a felony. If yes, you have to include a detailed explanation of the nature of the offense and the final disposition of the case with your application.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the armed services or from a city, county, state, or federal position? If yes, you have to attach an explanation with your application.
- Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or from narcotic addiction or dependence? If yes, you must attach an explanation with your application.
- Not ever been declared by any court incompetent by reason of mental or physical defect or disease? If yes, you attach an explanation with your application.
- Have not defaulted on an educational loan or scholarship provided by or guaranteed by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission or any governmental agency of IL. However, the you might get a new license or renewal if the you attach with your application a satisfactory repayment record as determined by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission or other appropriate governmental agency of IL.
Security Guard Application Process
- Complete your 20 hours of required training from a State certified training provider.
- Get your fingerprints taken.
- Complete the PERC application.
- Attach one photograph to the application in the space provided.
- Copy of the electronic fingerprint receipt.
- Mail all documents to the address listed above.
Duplicate or Replacement PERC
If you lose your PERC, send a written request for a reprint of your card and a $20.00 reprint fee to the address listed above.