A Firearm Control Card (FAC) from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – Division of Professional Regulation is required to work as an armed employee of a licensed private security force in Illinois. Your firearm control must be returned to the Division of Professional Regulation when your employment is terminated.
Type of Security Guard License Required & Issuing Authority
- Security Guard License Type: Firearm Control Card (FAC)
- Security Guard License Length: 3 years
- Security Guard Licensing Authority: Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – Division of Professional Regulation
- Security Guard Licensing Website: Division of Professional Regulation
- Security Guard Licensing Phone Number: (217) 782-8556
- Security Guard Licensing Address:
ATTN: Division of Professional Regulation
P.O. Box 7007
Springfield, Illinois 62791
- Security Guard License Laws: Administrative Code, Title 68: Professions and Occupations, Chapter VII: Subchapter b: Part 1240, Section 1240.510 Firearm Training Course
Security Guard Training Requirements & Fees
Illinois requires that you take 20 hours of training to become an unarmed security guard. Each security guard training company in Illinois sets its of class fees. Upon completion of your training, you must:
- Successfully complete a written test with a score of at least 75%.
- Fire fire a minimum of 50 rounds of live ammunition (factory loaded service ammunition or factory reloaded ammunition) with a minimum score of 70% with each type of weapon (revolver, semi-automatic, shotgun, rifle) you will be authorized to carry on duty.
- Security Officer Courses before You Apply for a Security Officer License: 40 hours with cost set by training school; $200+ typical.
Illinois State Security Guard Training Course Outline
- The 20 hour PERC course plus 20 hours of classroom and range training on the following firearm topics:
- Legal use of firearms
- Ethical and moral considerations of weapons use
- Liability for acts while armed
- Use of deadly force
- Search, seizure and arrest procedures while armed
- Firearm safety and maintenance
- Fundamentals of firearm use:
- Sight alignment
- Sight picture
- Trigger control
If you’re employed by more than one employer, a notarized copy of your Certificate of Firearm Training is kept by your second employer instead of the original Certificate of Firearm Training that is held by your first employer.
Armed Security Guard Exemptions
- Peace officers are exempt from needing a FAC card. The company that employs the peace officer, not the peace force, is responsible for the peace officer while they are on duty.
- A person employed as an unarmed security guard at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission who has completed the background screening and training mandated by the rules and regulations of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is exempt from registration for a FAC.
Armed Security Guard Background Check & Fingerprinting Fees
- Manual Fingerprint Fee = $39.25
- Live Scan / Electronic Fee = $34.25
You must submit to a criminal background check and provide evidence of fingerprint processing from the Illinois State Police (ISP),or a fingerprint vendor approved by ISP or the Department. Fingerprints must be taken within 60 days from the date that you submit your application to the Department or the Department’s testing vendor.
The Certifying Statement of Fingerprint Submission Form (FP), or a receipt issued by an approved fingerprint vendor must be submitted with your application. The receipt is given to you by the vendor at the time your fingerprints are taken.
Armed Security Guard Application & License Fees
- Security Guard Application Fee: $55
- Payment Types Accepted: Money order, cashier’s check
- Payable To: Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Armed Security Guard Other Requirements
- You must be at least 21 years
- You must disclosure your U.S. social security number, if you have one, to obtain a FAC. Your social security number may be provided to the Illinois Department of Public Aid to identify persons who are more than 30 days delinquent in complying with a child support order, or to the Illinois Department of Revenue to identify persons who have failed to file a tax return, pay tax, penalty or interest shown in a filed return, or to pay any final assessment or tax penalty or interest, as required by any tax Act administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue, or to other entities for verification of identification.
- Have completed the 40-hour firearm training course within 2 years preceding your application or proof of requalification within the last year.
- Have not been convicted of any criminal offense, including a misdemeanor or a felony. If yes, you have to include a detailed explanation of the nature of the offense and the final disposition of the case with your application.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the armed services or from a city, county, state, or federal position? If yes, you have to attach an explanation with your application.
- Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or from narcotic addiction or dependence? If yes, you must attach an explanation with your application.
- Not ever been declared by any court incompetent by reason of mental or physical defect or disease? If yes, you attach an explanation with your application.
- Have not defaulted on an educational loan or scholarship provided by or guaranteed by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission or any governmental agency of IL. However, the you might get a new license or renewal if the you attach with your application a satisfactory repayment record as determined by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission or other appropriate governmental agency of IL.
- Have a valid Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID) and with OID number.
Armed Security Guard Application Process
- Complete your 40 hours of required training from a State certified training provider.
- Get your fingerprints taken.
- Complete the FAC application.
- Legible copy of your Firearm Owner Identification Card (FOID).
- Copy of the electronic fingerprint receipt.
- This FAC form must be submitted by your Proprietary Security Force on your behalf.
Duplicate or Replacement FAC
If you lose your FAC, send a written request for a reprint of your card and a $20.00 reprint fee to the address listed above.