Michigan Private Security Police Officers
Private Security Police Officers work for private police forces authorized by the State Police. To be a private security police officer you must have previous police officer, military or other related service. Most private guards are private security guards, not private security police officers in Michigan.
Private Security Police Officer Requirements
Private security police officers must:
- Meet minimum age requirements
- Have security or law enforcement experience
- Not have any felony conviction or any specific misdemeanor convictions
Misdemeanor Arrest Authority
A private security police officer has the authority to arrest a person for a suspected misdemeanor offense without a warrant when the private security police officer is on the employer’s premises and in full unfirom. Such authority is limited to their hours of employment as a private security police officer and does not extend beyond the boundaries of the property of the employer and while the private security police officer is in the full uniform of the employer.
Training for Private Security Police Officers
Private security police officers must be trained according to Michigan State Police requirements as follows:
- Legal: Criminal law and procedure; civil law and diversity
- Special Curriculum: Firearms familiarization or firearms proficiency, if carrying firearms, and defensive tactics
- Critical Incident Curriculum: CPR/first aid, non-violent intervention,and emergency preparedness
- Patrol Operation
Private security police officers in Michigan are required to to the following annual, maintenance security officer classes:
- First aid
- Emergency preparedness
- Legal update
- Defensive tactics and firearms range qualifications or strategic video training for those who carry firearms
The information available on the Michigan State Police Website is not clear on how you become a private security police officer. Security police officer requirements are not covered in detail on this website. Private security forces are responsible for hiring, training and managing the security police officers. If you want to become a private security policer officer, either as someone you know who is already one or contact a private security force. Currently, the following are the only such private security forces in Michigan:
- Detroit Medical Center
- Henry Ford Health System
- St. John Hospital & Medical Center
- Spectrum Health
- Renaissance Center Management Co.
- Fairlane Town Center
- Pontiac School District
- Lansing School District
- Schoolcraft College
- Wayne County Community College District
- University of Detroit Mercy
- Emergent BioDefense Lansing, Inc.