NY Yearly In-service Security Guard Training Course
The yearly in-service security guard training course is 8 hours with a variable cost depending on the training school. The cost of this class is set by the security guard training provider, not by the state of NY.
The Annual In-service NY Security Guard Training Course provides updated and enhanced information on the duties and responsibilities of a security guard that were covered in the pre-assignment course.
Security Guard Registration Renewal, Updates & Replacements
- You must renew your security guard registration in NY every 2 years.
- You must mail in your security guard registration renewal 90 days prior to its expiration date.
- If you don’t renew your security guard registration within 6 months after your current registration expiration date, you must re-apply and re-qualify to be a security guard.
- If you don’t renew your security guard registration by the end of your current registration’s expiration date, you cannot work as a security guard.
NY Security Officer Application Renewal
- Renew Every: 2 years
- Fee: $25
- Payment Types Accepted: Money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Don’t mail cash. No credit cards or personal checks.
- Payable To: NYS Department of State
Duplicate NY Security Guard Registration Card
If you lose or damage your security guard registration card license you can request a duplicate copy for $10 using the Duplicate License/Registration Request form.
Change of NY Security Guard Personal Information
As a security guard, if your name, residential address or business address changes, you must report this change to the Division of Licensing using the Change Notice form.
Change from NY Unarmed to NY Armed Security Guard
If you want to change from being an unarmed security guard to an armed security guard you must report this change to the Division of Licensing using the Security Guard Change of Status form. Along with this completed form, you must also return your current security guard registration, proof of taking the required armed security guard training and a $20 check payable to the NYS Department of State.